The property was originally a peach orchard owned by Harold McFeely, James Hayes and
James Hughes. The trio sold the property to “Greer Golf and Country Club, Incorporated” for
a sum of $9,000.00 on October 20, 1954.
Greer Country Club was constructed to meet the needs of a growing community. It opened
with nine holes as an alternative to the only other local course at the time – a nine-hole course
off Jones Avenue in Greer Mill.
The popularity of the Club allowed for expansion a decade after it opened. The golf course was expanded to 18 holes. A swimming pool and tennis courts were also constructed.
A complete irrigation system was installed to help maintain the course in excellent condition.
The golf cart storage facility suffered substantial damage after it was struck by lightning. A new cart storage facility was constructed on the site of the tennis courts, which were removed
in the mid-1990s due to a lack of use.
Greer Country Club invested in a major renovation project that included the construction of a
10,000 sq. ft. clubhouse, a new swimming pool and a new putting green.
All greens on the golf course were changed from Bent Grass to Diamond Zoysia, giving the
course nearly 30% more putting surface area.
The City of Greer purchased the Club in February and made renovations to the clubhouse,
leased a new state-of-the-art golf cart fleet, sprigged a new hybrid Bermuda Grass (Tahoma 31)
on the Back Nine fairways and tee boxes, repaired and replaced components of the pump station that drives the irrigation and installed new software to manage course operations, point of sale transactions and online reservations.
Future upgrades to the course include sprigging of Tahoma 31 grass on the Front Nine fairways and tee boxes, renovations to the maintenance facility and golf cart storage facility, purchase of new equipment for the grounds maintenance division and improvements to the driving range.